As the holiday season begins, the Lombard Fire Department will once again participate in the "Keep the Wreath Red" program. This holiday fire prevention program serves as a visual reminder for residents to take additional safety measures as they decorate for the holidays.
On Thanksgiving Day, Lombard firefighters will display wreaths with all red bulbs outside of each fire station. If a fire occurs in our community that is attributed to holiday decorations, firefighters will replace a red bulb with a white bulb. This display will continue through January 1, 2024. Our community’s goal is to keep the wreaths red.
The Lombard Fire Department offers these safety tips to help keep your home safer during the holiday season:
- Consider displaying an artificial tree
- When using a live tree, select a tree that is dark green in color and one that does not lose its needles easily
- Keep live trees away from heat sources
- Keep live trees well-watered
- Do not overload lighting circuits or utilize damaged or worn holiday lighting
- Extinguish candles when you leave the room or go to sleep for the night
- Keep candles in containers that prevent the candle from tipping over or falling
- Keep candles away from flammable materials
- Make sure your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working
Additionally, residents are encouraged to call the Lombard Bureau of Fire Prevention regarding any home safety concerns or questions at (630) 620-5750.