As students prepare to return to school, take the time to review some tips and reminders to help them have a safe school year.
- Slow down in school zones.
- Watch for children crossing streets, and for directions from crossing guards.
- Put your phone away.
- Be extra vigilant on streets adjacent to schools, especially at the beginning and end of school days.
- Watch for children darting out from between parked cars.
- Put your phone away - state law bans the non hands-free use of cell phones and texting while driving.
- Drop off and pick up in designated areas.
- Stop for buses loading or unloading students.
- Watch for warning signs and signals.
For more school safety tips, visit nhtsa.gov and nsc.org.
Download a Back to School Safety Checklist Here
Stopping For a School Bus
Safety Tips for Students
- Always cross streets at corners where there are traffic signals and designated crosswalks.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
- Always walk on the sidewalk.
- Walk facing traffic, if there are no sidewalks.
- Always look left, right, and left again before crossing the street.
- Never run out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Bike riders, wear your helmet and walk your bike across crosswalks.