The risk of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning increases during winter months due to cold temperatures forcing home heating systems to run longer and more frequently. Often called the silent killer, CO is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.
CO alarms provide early warning of CO in your home. To help prevent CO poisoning, the Lombard Fire Department recommends installing CO alarms on every level of the home if your home has fuel-burning appliances or an attached garage. Please do not hesitate to call 911 at any time if you think there may be a CO problem in your home. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to CO.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms
Often people who have a mild to moderate problem will find they feel sick while they spend time at home. They might feel a little better outside in the fresh air but will have re-occurring symptoms shortly after returning home. If other family members have re-occurring bouts with flu-like symptoms while fuel-burning appliances are being used, it may be time to have the house checked by a professional.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Besides having a professional come into your home to check your appliances, a carbon monoxide detector can be used to keep a constant watch over the levels of carbon monoxide in the house throughout the year.
Additionally, residents are encouraged to call the Lombard Fire Prevention Bureau regarding any home safety concerns or questions at (630) 620-5750.
Carbon Monoxide Safety Resources