With recent reports of increased thefts in the area, the Lombard Police Department is reminding residents to take extra precautions to protect their property as part of their 9 PM routine every night. Residents are urged to lock their cars and homes every night and remove their keys/fobs from vehicles.
Ensuring that the following steps are taken each night can help decrease the chance of criminals gaining access to vehicles and homes.
- Always LOCK your car doors and NEVER leave your keys/fob in your vehicle.
- Do not leave valuables such as cell phones, wallets, purses, cash or change, laptops, cameras, etc., in your car.
- Be sure to remove or conceal any garage door openers, as these devices allow entrance into the home and can lead to home break-ins.
- Ensure that windows are rolled up and the sunroof is securely closed.
- Do not leave items out with personal information such as checks, bank statements or tax information.
- Avoid moving valuable items to your trunk while in public view.
- Turn on exterior lighting, including porch, garage and driveway lights.
If you observe any suspicious activity, please dial 911 and do not alert or confront suspicious individuals.
For more information, please contact the Lombard Police Department at (630) 873-4400.