Every home in the U.S. is now eligible to order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests. To order your tests and learn more about this federal program, visit www.covidtests.gov.
The tests available for order:
- Are rapid antigen at-home tests, not PCR
- Can be taken anywhere
- Give results within 30 minutes (no lab drop-off required)
- Work whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms
- Work whether or not you are up to date on your COVID-19 vaccines
- Are also referred to self-tests or over-the-counter (OTC) tests
There are numerous other options to get tested for free including your primary care provider, State of Illinois Community Based Testing Sites, and pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens. If you have health insurance, your insurance will also cover the cost of over-the-counter, at-home tests (up to 8 at-home tests per month for each person on your plan).
Beginning late next week, N95 masks are expected to become available for free through pharmacies, grocery stores and community health centers.