Recent Changes to Commuter Parking
During the September 3, 2020 Board of Trustees meeting at Lombard Village Hall, the following changes to commuter parking were approved:
- To help support essential workers and all active commuters, the Village has suspended all commuter parking fees through December 31, 2020.
- The Village has eliminated all quarterly parking permits effective immediately. The elimination of quarterly parking permits is due to ongoing requests from the public to create more parking opportunities for commuters, data collected from internal studies and a survey by Metra, as well as the current recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for employers to allow workers to shift hours to avoid congested travel times.
Multiple parking studies performed over the past two years found that 25-90 permit parking spots were unused in the permitted lots on any given day. In a recent survey conducted by the Village, less than 25% of responding permit holders plan to use Metra five days each week. Metra is currently experiencing a significant reduction in ridership, and it is uncertain how long it will take for ridership levels to return to pre-COIVD levels.
- The Village has also increased the daily fee parking to $1.50 per day based upon the following information:
- Lombard’s $1.25/day fee is the lowest in the region. Lombard is currently the lowest priced daily fee parking when compared to Wheaton ($1.50), West Chicago ($1.75), Villa Park ($2.00), Naperville ($2.00), Elmhurst ($2.00), Glen Ellyn ($2.00), Geneva ($2.00) and Downers Grove ($3.00).
- Due to Lombard’s low daily fee parking rate, many commuters from neighboring cities travel and park in Lombard, resulting in full daily fee lots (based upon information collected prior to COVID-19). The updated fee will bring Lombard’s commuter parking spaces in line with neighboring communities.
- Long-term improvements are needed for commuter parking lots. The full increase of daily fee parking from $1.25 to $1.50 will help fund necessary parking improvements. All funds raised from daily fee parking are used for commuter lot improvements.
The Village will continue to explore new and better ways to provide commuter parking options to the community. Any questions or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.