The Lombard Police Department is focused on providing residents, community members, and visitors with a high quality level of public safety.
Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over and Click It Or Ticket Campaigns
Throughout each year the Lombard Police Department is granted additional federal and state funding, which allows for extra patrols focused on traffic safety concerns. Annual enforcements include:
- New Years Drive Sober Get Pulled Over
- Super Bowl Drive Sober Get Pulled Over
- St. Patrick's Day Drive Sober and Click It Or Ticket
- April: Distracted Driving Awareness Month
- April: Illinois Chiefs of Police Distracted Driving Awareness Week
- Memorial Day Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- July Fourth Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- Labor Day Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over and Click It Or Ticket
- Halloween Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- Thanksgiving Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- Holiday Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
About the Traffic Safety Unit
The Traffic Safety Unit (TSU), which was created in 1990, is comprised of Lieutenant Grage, Sergeant Menolascino, Officer P. Rojas, and Officer Stern. The duties of the Traffic Safety Unit include:
- Child safety seat inspections
- Presentations at local high schools
- Participate in various traffic related fairs
- Educate senior citizens on traffic laws
- Monitor complaints of school bus stop arm violations
- Enforce school speed zone violations
- Enforce impaired driving violations
- Participate in serious traffic crash investigation
Sergeant Menolascino is currently responsible for conducting commercial motor vehicle enforcement. Overweight commercial vehicles are not safe and also cause damage to state and local roadways creating additional infrastructure costs ultimately paid for by the public. The damaged roads also contribute to traffic crashes. The Lombard Police Department seeks to enhance the safety of the roadways and minimize damage done to them by taking an aggressive stance with commercial motor vehicle enforcement. Sergeant Menolascino is also responsible for issuing permits for overweight and/or oversize commercial motor vehicle and ensuring compliance with these permits.
All TSU members drive unmarked patrol vehicles. The goal of this program is to apprehend people who are not driving safely in order to educate them and change their driving behavior in an effort to reduce crashes, thereby making the roads safer.
Annual Traffic Crash Report
An annual traffic crash report can be found here.