The consideration of zoning associated with future recreational cannabis facilities was recently discussed by the Village Board at a Recreational Cannabis 101 Workshop on Wednesday, July 31 at 7 p.m., at Village Hall. The discussion was informational only and designed to allow Board Members the opportunity to ask questions related to recreational cannabis businesses opening within Lombard. No final decisions were made.
While no formal action was taken at the workshop, the Village Board did provide direction to staff to prepare a text amendment petition to be presented to the Lombard Plan Commission. Key items in the text amendment would include:
1. Amend the Village Code to establish a definition for “Cannabis Dispensing Facility,”
2. Amend the Zoning Ordinance to permit cannabis dispensing facilities in the following districts:
- As a permitted use in Districts I (Limited Industrial), B3, and B4, O (Office)
- As a conditional use (requires Plan Commission review and Village Board approval for individual locations) in Districts B1, B2, B5, and B5A (neighborhood, downtown and community retail locations);
3. Prohibit cannabis smoking/consumption in business establishments;
4. Prohibit cannabis cultivation, grower, processing, and transportation facilities within the Village.
Please note that these recommendations are intended to establish code regulations in Lombard that would need to be followed by a prospective business. It is not granting approval of any particular establishment or location.
The Village Board also recommended that an item be placed on a future Village Board agenda, to consider the adoption of an optional 3% municipal retailers’ tax.
The next steps for this process will include a Special Meeting of the Plan Commission on Thursday, August 29. At this public hearing, the above text amendments recommended by the Village Board, will be considered.